Studio Manager/Lead Engineer Job Posting:
Heritage Radio Network is the world’s pioneer food radio station. The studio broadcasts live from two recycled shipping containers inside Roberta’s Pizza, an innovative restaurant at the center of Brooklyn’s culinary renaissance.
Our network is united in the idea that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, one (sound) bite at a time. Our network boasts 38+ weekly live to tape food-focused programs, and a division of writers who produce stories on topics including Advocacy & Food Policy, Agriculture, Hospitality, Science & Tech, Beverage, and more.
About the position:
HRN’s Studio Manager/Lead Engineer (SMLE) is responsible for the production, quality and broadcasting of live weekly programs, and will oversee the daily operations of the studio. The SMLE reports to the Executive Director. The SMLE will handle live output, the editing of pre-recorded packages, and the mixing of pre-recorded shows. They will manage the studio schedule, host editorial calendar, host database, musician database, and be responsible for the ongoing upkeep and maintenance of all studio equipment.
The SMLE is responsible for enforcing editorial and production standards, providing direction to hosts and staff, and providing leadership in the studio and office. The SMLE will strive to achieve new and innovative ways to improve HRN’s programing, build audiences, and enhance community impact. The SMLE will play a role in identifying potential funding and partnership opportunities.
The SMLE will oversee the delivery of audio content for HRN across various platforms including the HRN website, iTunes, Stitcher, Simplecast, Acast, and anywhere else our listeners consume HRN content through an RSS feed. The SMLE will participate in station events, and on-air fundraising efforts as needed.
- Strong proficiency in Ableton, ProTools, or comparable DAW
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, and Google apps
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic, demonstrating consistency and stability of character
- General understanding of sound recording, studio setups, and signal flow
- Ability to troubleshoot simple technical issues
- Ability to set priorities and follow-through in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Flexible with a strong work ethic
- Ability to make quick and accurate decisions
- Passion for using digital tools to create social change
- A love for radio/podcasts!
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Execute studio daily task checklist
- Engineer HRN’s weekly programs
- Responsible for all website edits, upkeep and uploads as related to weekly shows
- Manage studio recording calendar with ongoing shows and scheduled pre-records
- Provide HRN’s “front of house” services to hosts and guests, including greeting, interacting with the Roberta’s staff, and general station FAQs
- Implement HRN brand focus on building diversity of voices, depth of conversations and new perspectives in food.
- Act as creative or technical sounding board for hosts and producers working to develop segments, themes and improve show format
- Oversee studio upkeep and appearance, including green room
- Record station drops with all VIP guests
- Maintain HRN show guest database
- Maintain and report on monthly analytics dashboard at scheduled all-staff meetings
- Attend and record network events with our media partners
- Maintain studio computers and perform drive backups
- Identify and share funding opportunities for individual members, business members and station underwriters
This is a full time, salaried position, to start immediately.
Please send Cover Letter and Resume to erin@HeritageRadioNetwork.org
Your cover letter should address the following questions:
- Why are you interested in joining the HRN team?
- Why are you uniquely suited to the position?
- In three sentences or less describe the last great bite/dish/meal or cocktail you had.